Huffington Post asked Facebook and Twitter readers to share the one piece of advice they'd offer fellow divorced folks looking to date again. See what they had to say below, then head to the comments and weigh in with your advice.
1. "Think of it this way: You know what you DON'T want. Now go out there and figure out what you DO want."
2. "Fix yourself first. When you're able to tell your story and not cry then you're ready to date."
3. "The dating scene has changed since you were last part of it. It takes time to process that along with everything you've been through with the divorce. Be cognizant of that and try your hardest to take things slow."
4. "Don't cling to someone new just because you're lonely. Be picky. Think long and hard about what you no longer want to invite into your life and once you have, don't compromise those things for the sake of companionship (even if it is super hot companionship -- sigh)."
5. "Only date when you're ready and know that the time it takes to be ready varies from person to person. Once you're open to dating, feel free to make mistakes and embrace this new phase in your life. I don't mean be completely hedonistic, but feel free to be adventurous and get to know new people."
6. "Date, date, date. But take time to make yourself happy first and don't expect the people you're seeing to help you get over your divorce. Dates are not band-aids."
It was a rough winter. Here are some tips for getting your feet in shape:
~Wear spa socks to bed: You can buy socks that are infused with oils and moisturizers, or you can also lather your feet with a thick lotion, then put on a pair of old socks. Do this for a few nights and your feet will look brand new.
~Soak feet in Epsom salt with warm water to soften feet by removing dead cells. Doing this regularly can reduce callous, heal dry, damaged skin, reduce inflammation and relive itching.
~After soaking your feet, use an exfoliating scrub to remove any rough patches that have accumulated over winter.
~Use a tinted moisturizer: Since your feet have been hiding in boots all winter, they might look extra pale.
~Remove unwanted hair: Yeah, we know you're hiding toe hairs. Use small wax strips to remove them from the root (it's better than shaving).
On eof our listeners sent us this natural, non-toxic weed killer recipe after hearing our converation about not wanting to add chemicals to our yards. Safe for pets and kids, Thanks to Pam Ridenour!
1/2 gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 c table salt
1/2 tsp Dawn liquid dish soap
Mix above ingredients in a spray bottle.
Spray weeds thoroughly.
1/2 gallon for around $6.40. Works better than Round Up - kills weeds on 1st application. The Dawn dish soap strips the weed of its protective oils so the vinegar can work with deadly force. Safe for use in yards used by children and pets!
Sometimes, the best advice, often, still comes from Mom.
Some will sit us down and spill the advice that their growing hearts have learned over the years. Some will be there to lift us up as we're starting to crawl underneath our covers to hide from a broken, tired heart. And some will just casually remind us as we're on the way to work on a Friday morning that it's important to find someone who makes you happy. That's all that matters (Thanks, Mom!). Source: Huffpost Here's the top 10 pieces of Mom advice!
1. "What you put up with in a relationship is all you'll ever get out if it.." -Alex
2. " Look at her mother and you'll see her future." -Bryan
3. "'Don't rush It,.'" -Dan
4. "If it's not working now, it's not going to. (Amen, Mom.)" -Johnny
5. "See how they treat the waiter at the restaurant. It'll tell everything." -Cliff
Think boys are smarter? Think again.
A Canadian study, which examined data from 1914 to 2011, found that girls do better in school than boys – and have been for nearly a century.
The research found that girls perform better than boys in every grade ... in all subjects ... all over the world.
"The fact that females generally perform better than their male counterparts throughout what is essentially mandatory schooling in most countries seems to be a well-kept secret, considering how little attention it has received as a global phenomenon," said co-author Susan Voyer of the University of New Brunswick. (Daily Mail)
You've all heard the saying, "Beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before beer, in the the clear." Well, according to research analyzed by the BBC, this adult nursery rhyme – meant to save you from spending a day in bed with a hangover – is totally untrue!
Nope, what you drink and in what order makes no difference when it comes to a next day hangover. It's how much you drink that makes a difference. The more alcohol you consume, the higher the chances of becoming dehydrated – which is the true cause of a hangover.
So, if you feel like having a glass of wine before a beer, or a vodka-cranberry before a glass of Merlot – the most important thing to remember is you can have them in any order you want, but you'd better have a glass of water in between each drink or you might wake up with a raging headache, queasy stomach and a tongue that feels too big for your dry mouth! (Today)
1. Spending too little time with the right people
2. Not saying what you need to say.
3. Ignoring your intuition for too long.
4. Not taking action on meaningful goals.
5. Letting others talk you out of your dreams.
6. Collecting more excuses than you can count.
7. Waiting, and waiting, and waiting until you’re ready.
8. Not putting in enough effort. .
9. Not taking on enough
10. Putting your own needs on the back burner.
11. Giving up too soon.
Japan’s Jiroemon Kimura was the oldest person in the world when he died in June 2013 … at the age of 116. If anyone knew the secret to longevity, it was Kimura. Here are some of his tips for a long and happy life.
What the pet she owns says about her
· If she owns a cat. Cats are independent and self-sufficient, which means she is too.
· Girls who own dogs are usually sporty and low-maintenance.
· If she owns a reptile, like a snake or lizard, expect her to be a little freaky or self-absorbed
· Bird-owners are very bubbly, talkative and optimistic.
· Girls with rabbits probably don't care much about cleanliness. Same thing with girls who keep rodents as pets.
· The girl who owns a horse is wealthy and very high-maintenance.
· There are some girls who have insects as pets, like butterflies or ant farms, they're very into science and probably really weird. (Coed.com)
Chocolate Bunny: You are stalwart and trustworthy. Everyone knows what they're getting with you. If someone bites your head off, you just roll with it.
Malted Robin's Eggs: You're creative and like surprising people, but you're also just a little bit nostalgic.
Peeps: You're loud and will not be ignored. You're also extremely flexible. You're super sweet inside and out, and soft in the middle. But you can be a bit clingy, too.
Cadbury Eggs: You are not what you appear to be. There's a kind of mystery to you. And yet you're in high demand.
Jelly Beans: You're just here for a good time, always happy to be invited to the party.
Peanut Butter Eggs:You're a regular person. You prefer stability, for things to stay the same all the time.
Edible Easter Grass: You're half punk rock, half emo. You scare people. No one quite understands you.